Thursday, January 3, 2008

Kid's Seamless Sweater


This is what I've had envisioned in my head since last summer. I can't believe I finally came up with how I want to do the sleeves. This was my 4th try at the sweater and I believe I've perfected it this time around. I'm sharing the pattern notes because I LOVE to share my learnings. I write my patterns very loosely, so if you've got any questions, please let me know and I can try to walk you through it.

My model wears a size 2-3t

I used the magic loop method on 32 in size 8 circs. The yarn was respun worsted weight, hand dyed cotton. I prepped 226 yards and didn't use all of it. 200 should do you just fine.

Gauge is 4 sts per inch in stockinette st.

neck:



co 60 sts
pm, join and work 1x1 rib for 2 inches
k one round
work one inc round, k2m1 (I pick up and k the yarn between two stitches as to be less noticeable)
k 5-7 rounds (remember, you're working with magic loop, so you can try the sweater on your kid!)
work one inc round.
k 8ish rounds, remember try it on to see if you're ready to start the arm holes yet.

At this point I've got 132 st on my needle. I have a feeling that I may have zoned out during the inc rounds so you may have a tad more or less then I do. that's no problem. This pattern is forgiving.

I'm going to explain the arm holes using my 132 sts, but if you have more/less, just know that each arm hole has 1/4 of the total stitches.

arm holes: starting at your marker, k16, place next 33 st on waste yarn, k33, place 33 on waste yarn, k to end of round

next round: k round rejoining at arm holes as if nothing weird is happening

k to desired length
work 5 rows garder st, bind off using a stretchy bo method

arms: (if you just pick up the stitches and start knitting, you'll need to sew up the hole in the pits afterward. I'm much too lazy for that. I do NOT like "finishing". So my trick was to sew up that little hole with 3 or 4 stitches with my darning needle BEFORE I even placed my sts back on my needle from the waste yarn. And another trick is to sew it from the pit down, that way your working yarn is already there for you)





Sew up pit hole (weave in end of yarn), place live sts back on your circs, join and work 1x1 rib for 10 rows, BO using a stretchy BO and do the same on the other arm.

Weave in the co and bo tail yarns and put this baby on your kid and admire your work!











This pattern is for personal use only. I charge a small fee for the right to sell your finished product. Please email me at : shelleefloyd@gmail.com for more info. Thanks :)

12 comments:

Angie said...

*Found via Craftster*

So cute! I've been looking for an easy sweater to make for my 3 yr old and I think this'll be it. Thank you so much! Bookmarking for future reference.

Unknown said...

This is such a cute sweater. I'm so glad you answered my question about the sizing on the craftster thread. I'm printing it out now, and hopefully starting tonight. :)

Soulful Hues said...

Oh goodie! This makes me excited and a little bit nervous. I'd love to see a pic when you're finished. If you have any questions at all, just shout out here for a quicker response :)

Unknown said...

yes, I really want to make one, but alas I only have one circ. So I'm writing up my own pattern as I go to knit it flat. So yes there will be seams, argh!! lol. It will look like yours though, hopefully. :D I'll post on my blog as I go. :)

Amanda said...

This is so cute! I knit one for my toddler, but it fits a doll. DOH. Would you mind posting your gauge for this sweater? I'm pretty new at knitting so maybe I'm still knitting way too tightly.

Anyway, thanks for the free pattern, the sweater (and your model) is so sweet.

Soulful Hues said...

sorry about the delay in response Amanda. My gauge is 4 stitches per inch. I've edited it into the pattern. I'm so sorry it didn't fit your toddler, but at least you got a nice shirt for a doll!

CraftyHourMom said...

Hey there! I've been looking high and low for a pattern for a sweater to knit in the round - just wondering though - my lil man is wearing 18 mo to 2 year clothes, so this'd probably be too big for him. :( Would it be simple to resize it? (i'm very new to knitting from patterns) Thanks!!

Soulful Hues said...

Hi Bean, I wouldn't adjust it. The sweater is sized at a 2-3 T and your guy is wearing, at the smallest, 18 months. Our kids grow so fast that I'm betting it'll be fine, especially if he needs an undershirt it :) Let me know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you for making this pattern available on the web. It's cute, it's simple, and it was very nice of you to do this!

jmzipp720 said...

I have almost completed this sweater and I am really excited! Thank you for sharing this pattern. I hate seaming as much as you it sounds like!! I think I also knit very tight because this is tight on my petite 18 mo old. I look forward to trying it again with larger needle size. Thanks again!!

Tessa said...

Coming late to the game here... but I found this pattern via Ravelry and made a very quick sweater for my little lady. I easily added long sleeves. This was so easy and so fast--thank you so much! I'm going to use it and play with the sizing, to make sweaters for my friends' kids too!

Rose said...

Found this via Ravelry, and just made an awesome sweater fir my 15 month old. I tweaked the sizing a bit, and added a fair isle pattern, and it's adorable, and it came together so fast! My first project using the magic loop AND my first fair isle sweater, because I'm a daredevil like that. I found it worked better when I went down two needle sizes for the ribbed portions, but my ribs always turn out super loose. Anyway, thanks for posting this!

 
Site Meter